Thanks to the generosity of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Goodyear, CMSD is proud to open the East Professional Center Digital Fabrication + STEM Lab for the 2019-2020 school year. The Lab will be used to host workshops and making hours for CMSD teachers and staff to learn how to use these technologies and incorporate them into their classrooms.
DIGITAL FABRICATION WORKSHOPS
Digital Fabrication Workshops are designed for any CMSD employee who would like to learn more about a Fab Lab technology to use in their school. The workshops are designed for beginners, so if you feel like you already know how to use a piece of fab lab equipment, please reach out to the lab manager to discuss it. The workshops happen over the course of an academic quarter and get you ready to use the Fab Lab equipment in your school. The flow of the workshops is below.
- 3D Printing
- Intro A: an overview for any k-12 teacher on how 3D printing works and a general introduction to Tinkercad.com
- Intro B: an opportunity to design a project you could do with your students to help them learn the program
- Intro C: developing a more complex project that could be a part of a rigorous curriculum.
- Subject or Grade level Specific Workshops
- Vinyl Cutting
- Intro A: an overview for any 3-12 on how vinyl cutting works and how to make simple stickers
- Intro B: an opportunity to design something simple that could incorporate Math, Art or Social Studies
- Intro C: Developing a unit for your classroom around logo design
- Electronics (these are one session workshops)
- Paper Circuits
- Makey Makey
- Laser Cutting (these are one session workshops)
- Classroom Door Hanger
- Design thinking in your classroom- how to make with kids in a crazy and constructive way
OPEN LAB TIME
Stop by for a tour of the EPC DF+STEM Lab and see what is possible!
Open Lab Time is kind of like office hours. Come by to ask questions, learn about machines, use a machine you’re already trained on, etc.
Open Lab Time are on a first come, first serve basis as of right now. If they become crowded we may have a sign up for me.
The workshops and open lab time are FREE and VOLUNTARY for any CMSD teacher and are not through the office of PD. If a CMSD teacher would like to use these workshops for VPD, they may do so if and only if previously approved by their principal and chapter chair. Please inquire for a Certificate of Participation.